quinta-feira, 13 de fevereiro de 2014

ARCHEOLOGY CURIOSITY

This morning I decided to go for a walk alongside the coast, to enjoy the warmer temperatures and take a few pictures. As I descended upon a cliff near the water, on a secluded, yet beautiful part of coast, I noticed what appeared to be an old wall/ruin, protruding through the sand and vegetation.
At first I didn’t think much of it, as I got closer to it however; I realized this wall was manmade; apparently it had been buried under the sand for some time and got exposed by the excessive amounts of rain we’ve had in Portugal the last few weeks, which have caused some eroding to the dunes on our coastline.
It seems rather unusual for someone to have built a home this close to the ocean, there is also the possibility the ocean wasn’t   this close to the shoreline centuries ago though.
I am curious about archeology, but the extent of my qualifications as an archeologist does not go much past curiosity, today though, for a few minutes, I suddenly became Albert Tobias Clay.
Everywhere I looked there was an artifact and I didn’t even have to do any digging. I gathered a couple of hands full of items and headed home to take these pictures and catalogue the items as best as I know how.
My plan is to return to the site armed with some homemade tools, to see what else I might be able to unearth on this site, but the truth be said, I’m not even sure  there’s any historical value to these items.
I hope you enjoy the pictures and my story and please stay tuned for a follow-up, after my next archeology curiosity expedition.


Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário